Monkey Bay Marina

It was a calm night and morning so after breakfast we hauled up the anchor and docked stern in using the dinghy to haul a line in for other cruisers on the dock to pull us in.  It's nice to have access to bathrooms and showers and garbage etc.. This marina actually composts and recycles.. The 2 drawbacks to me are the Internet is a shared cellular data plan with a 250 MB daily limit per device.  That's why Walter wanted to get his own plan.  The other is isolation as Tijax was within walkable distance to town.. Here there is no road or even path..it's probably swampy?  It's called Monkey Bay due to the howler monkeys which we heard last night and early this morning...along with the barking dogs at the private places across the small bay.  Also no restaurant which maybe ends up saving you money but I kind of like having one at the marina or to at least be able to walk to one.  Tijax was $40 less per month also.  Right now we are running the generator rather than shore power such is the high cost of electricity here.  Time to put out the other 3 big solar panels now that we finally have put up the 'Shade Tree' cockpit canopy.  It's great.. Now let it rain and the sun beat down!  
Think I'll go take a shower and assume 3:48 pm is not a popular shower time?  There are 2 bathrooms with toilets and 2 showers.  I think we bring the total boats here right now to 5 so maybe 10 people or so here right now.  It's not a very big marina.  

There are Mosquitos and there is that new mosquito borne virus with the severe pain in your joints if you get it...plus dengue fever.  I don't think things will be insect screened until I'm gone.  A bunch of screen was bought in the Caymans but it isn't a priority.  In the evening I get pestered by a few mosquitoes and I dread the night but so far the nights are relatively bug free.. Perhaps it's that its raining a lot at night?  By comparison to summer in minnesota the mosquitoes are not really bad but it's been so free of bugs so far the entire time since leaving Beaufort S.C. December 2nd.  As it turns out the 250 mb a day is fine by me.  I think my time will run out befor my mb's?  The manager wanted us to move the boat as our gangplank off the stern was infringing on the dock too much.  So far I've not been able to pick up the wifi from the boats new location.  Oh well.

A few photos of Monkey Bay Marina







Comments